Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Topic 4: Identifying Your Learning style

Name: _Tiara Hampton_______________________
Date: __May 11, 2010_______________________


Learning Styles Modality Preference Inventory

Read each statement and select the appropriate number response as it applies to you.
Often (3) Sometimes (2) Seldom/Never (1)



Visual Modality
__3__ I remember information better if I write it down.
__3__ Looking at the person helps keep me focused.
__2__ I need a quiet place to get my work done.
__1__ When I take a test, I can see the textbook page in my head.
__2__ I need to write down directions, not just take them verbally.
__2_ Music or background noise distracts my attention from the task at hand.
__2__ I don’t always get the meaning of a joke.
__1__ I doodle and draw pictures on the margins of my notebook pages.
__2__ I have trouble following lectures.
__3__ I react very strongly to colors.
__21__ Total

Auditory Modality
__1_ My papers and notebooks always seem messy.
__2__ When I read, I need to use my index finger to track my place on the line.
__1__ I do not follow written directions well.
__2__ If I hear something, I will remember it.
__1__ Writing has always been difficult for me.
__2__ I often misread works from the text (e.g., “them” for “then”).
__3__ I would rather listen and learn than read and learn.
__3_ I’m not very good at interpreting an individual’s body language
__2__ Pages with small print or poor quality copies are difficult for me to read.
__1_ My eyes tire quickly, even though my vision check-up is always fine.
_18__ Total

Kinesthetic/Tactile Modality
__2__ I start a project before reading the directions.
__2__ I hate to sit at a desk for long periods of time.
__3__ I prefer first to see something done and then to do it myself.
__2__ I use the trial and error approach to problem solving.
__1__ I like to read my textbook while riding an exercise bike.
__3__ I take frequent study breaks.
__1__ I have a difficult time giving step-by-step instructions.
__3__ I enjoy sports and do well at several different types of sports.
__3__ I use my hands when describing things.
__1__ I have to rewrite or type my class notes to reinforce the material.
__21__ Total


From Kids to College Program Materials, CIS of Charlotte-Mecklenburg, NC

Name: _Tiara Hampton_______________________


How Do You Learn? Profile Description

The Tactile/Kinesthetic Learner

Tactile and kinesthetic learners benefit most from “hands-on” activities. They usually clarify ideas by writing them down and understand formulas by manipulating them. Tactile/ kinesthetic learners learn best in laboratory settings and by doing fieldwork and class demonstrations. Making models to illustrate concepts works well. So does typing information on the computer, reorganizing material in different ways, and taping class lectures and listening to them during exercise.




















Making Your Learning Style Work for You

Tactile/Kinesthetic Learners:
· Take frequent study breaks.
· Move around to learn new things (e.g., read while on an exercise bike, mold a piece of clay to learn a new concept).
· Work at a standing position.
· Chew while studying.
· Use bright colors to highlight reading material.
· Dress up your work space with posters.
· If you wish, listen to music while you study.
· Skim though reading material to get a rough idea of what it’s about before settling down to read it in detail.

Learning Styles Work Plan


Use the space below to create your personalized work plan for the subjects listed. Include at least two strategies for each subject that could be used for the different learning style types. Use your handouts and www.studygs.net as resources when researching strategies.

Your primary learning style: Tactile/Kinesthetic__________________________________




Visual
Auditory
Tactile/Kinesthetic
Math




Need to go over it and over it
Just listening on how to do it
Doing similar problems over and over to remember how to do it
English




Rereading the text
Listening to the teacher read and following

Being hands on
Social Studies




Looking at who is talking
Listening very carefully
Being very hands on with the subject
Science




Look at what’s going on
Listening very carefully
Looking again be for doing anything
Second Language




Looking how it’s been said
Listening to how its being said then repeating it
Hand motions
And going over it again
Elective: ________









From Kids to College Program Manual, CIS of Charlotte – Mecklenburg, NC


Task 5:
Every Wednesday is a good day. I could come in with a head ache or might be having a bad day and then the children might run up and give me a big huge and make my day better. Their smiles just make my day better. I look forward to see their smiling faces every Wendenday.

1 comment: